Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Inspiration Information


inspirev.tr. 1. To affect, guide, or arouse by divine influence 2. To fill with enlivening or exalting emotion 3. a. To stimulate to action; motivate b. To affect or touch 4. To draw forth; elicit or arouse 5. To be the cause or source of; bring about 6. To draw in (air) by inhaling 7. Archaic: a. To breathe on b. To breathe life into. v.intr. 1. To stimulate energies, ideals, or reverence 2. To inhale.

This is a contradiction - I'm lacking in inspiration at the moment at the same time as being inspired by everyone around me.

All week I've been loving and repeat-playing the Japan and Sylvian-related stuff at Mick's joint (love the Mick Karn), whilst grooving to the American home valedictory zip from Liz. The Pauline Murray & The Invisible Girls album London Lee motivated me to order from Amazon Marketplace finally arrived from Illinois (!) and Colin's Great Northern are on rotation play in the car. Grinderswitch are 'Picking The Blues' on my iPod after Steve revealed that theirs was the theme to John Peel's show and I have rediscovered 'Joan Of Arc' big time thanks to the Tutu Vicar. As for Ally - well, I never know WHAT she's gonna come up with next and WHERE she gets those Smash Hits and NME clippings from (yes, don't tell me - old copies of Smash Hits and the NME, very funny - but my Dad BINNED all mine). And then there are the words and the thoughts and the insights and the rants and the rarities and the enthusiasms, old and new - from JC, and Darcy and ornery old Toad....

What am I saying?

Well probably just, in the immortal words of Sir Bjorn Ulvaeus....'thank you for the music'.

Please visit these people if you haven't already - comment on their stuff, give them some love, disagree nicely sometimes too, if you must.

And then - maybe have a go yourself.

We all did because someone else had before us.

That's inspiration.

'Open up your eyes and ears and yer influenced, and there's nothing you can do about it' - Bob Dylan.

By the way - Happy Birthday Brian Eno, god of influence - 59 today x.

Brian Eno - 'Just Another Day' (2005)
Brian Eno & David Byrne - 'The Jezebel Spirit' (1981)
Brian Eno - 'Everything Merges With The Night' (1975)
-----
Buy Eno here.

9 comments:

  1. ah bless ya sweetheart.
    although i'm going to have nightmares after even thinking about the jezebel spirit - i'll play it tomorrow.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Davy, you're a star. I'm going to listen to the Who Sell Out 'cos I bought it yesterday ;-). Loves ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks Davy. I surprised you're still speaking to me after the Mark Ronson business!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Davy. Glad you enjoyed the Japan stuff - my first attempt at a themed week. I always look forward to your friday funk and soul post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. RE; Friday Funk.

    Do you have any Captain Shifty by any chance?

    (Edinburgh short-lived white funk band thing)

    I have a demo tape I could convert and send?

    Think you'd like it it. Or at least have a good laugh at (depending on how much of a funk purist you are).

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank YOU companeros, you Da Boyz.

    Steve - You're the Face baby that is clear.

    Matthew - NAH! Not after I heard what he'd done to 'Pretty Green'!! The bastard.

    Mick - you're so right about that Mick Karn single being a Lost 80s Classic (I'd never heard it before). Now I want to know what the others in your Top Five are...

    Colin - Captain Shifty! I love them already just for the name! When were they active? Would love to hear and er, no, I'm not a funk purist (more a funk tart).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just for you I'm going to post my No 1 lost classic from the 80's next week - I've got something planned for tomorrow and probably won't have time over the weekend. It's from 1984 and reached 59 in the UK chart. That's all you're getting for now.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.