Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Tuesday (!) Reggae


Yes, unorthodox I know, but I'm seizing the day with this because a) it's a great record and I want to share it with you and b) I am, shockingly, going to be late back from selling the snake-oil in town on Friday and so likely slinging that post together in an even more slapdash fashion than usual, and this warrants a tad more attention.

It leapt out at me from this Soundcloud of reggae choons from the 'classic' era - some cut/crunched together a bit too rapidly for my liking, but I get the vibe - and I'd never heard it before.

It sounds like an old Studio One production pure and simple but is, according to the nice people at this site, a bit of a mongrel - an unreleased late 60s riddim track by The Soul Vendors, backing a vocal group called The Saints and harmonies by The Silvertones, with a lead vocal added in 1999 when the whole thing was re-engineered in Jamaica (by Courtney Dodd) and mixed in Brooklyn, NY. 

Like say, it's very good indeed.

Nina Soul - 'Sleeping Trees' (1999 - kind of)

18 comments:

  1. Niiice.

    Tuesday- unprecedented.
    Am meeting Drew tonight for a pint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dying to hear this but work iPad won't play it for some reason!

    Btw meeting SA for a couple of pints tonight

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meant to say, working late on a Friday! Bad show. I will keep the troops entertained for you. You can leave a tab open If you like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wot day is it?

    And drew/adam - Meeting? Drinking? In Real life? Wow.
    Top effort. Can't imagine where the rendevouz point is?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Manchester, so much to answer for.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drew and I had a few pints, put the world to rights, and discussed golf. Was very pleasant. Then I got piss wet through going home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. tuesday. it's the future. spent all day thinking it was thursday and i'd forgotten to put the bins out. and putting the bins out is pretty much the highlight of my week.
    golf. bless.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Neither of us was complimentary about golf Ally. If yiu ask me its a total waste of time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My bins go out on Monday; I don't think I could get used to Thursday, I really don't.

    Golf!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My bins go out on a Tuesday night but I wasn't there to put them out. It was very much a discussion around golf having absolutely nothing going for it whatsoever including the Farah slacks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bin night is Tuesday night here. Always throws me when its a bank holiday and they have to go out a day later.

    That was interesting.


    ReplyDelete
  12. well it thrilled me i can tell you. really. i mean really really.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bin night here is Monday night! I ask you..really, a monday night? I live near a golf course and am always tempted to shout at the sweatered and fancy trousered chaps to go home to their families...or alternatively to put my bin out as they pass by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Putting the bin out, eh. - A metaphor for life: A noisy, sad and lonely trundle in the dusk.

    Monday night for me. But when there's a fly in the Council ointment (eg Bank Holidays, Christmas, 3 cm of snow), one never quite knows when it will be emptied. Therefore, it's the wait and see game. The old girl down the street who lives alone and reads the stickers and phones the refuse 'Helpline'; she knows. The folk in the street twitch their curtains and follow her lead. If I were her, I'd piss everybody about. In? out? shake it all about kinda thing.

    And, as Edwin Starr stated: 'Golf! Huh. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing'.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adding an international flavour: Bin night is Wednesday here in Watertown, USA.

    ReplyDelete
  16. And the air still has a country smell/And everyone is looking well/As far as anyone can tell/The sun will rise tomorrow

    That's enough bin news, Ed.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Not surprised at the stellar choice, a sublime song. Big THANKS Mr. Davy H.

    Sonny D

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.