Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Going Home



Right now I am so tired, dog tired, just fall into the sack and sleep for a thousand years tired. Too many early starts and long days and you know what it's like? When it feels like you're looking at the world through the wrong end of a telescope, your perspective's shrunk up and everything's weird and distant? Like that.

Last night I took to my trundle bed and I put on my big comfy, padded, old skool hi-fi headphones and I listened to this as I drifted into sleep. And it was beautiful.

Brian Eno - 'An Ending (Ascent)' (1983) (from this)

Forgive me for being lazy, but can I quote Wiki? (I'm so tired...)

This music was originally recorded in 1983 for a documentary called For All Mankind, directed by Al Reinert and originally intended as a non-narrative collection of NASA stock footage from the Apollo program. The non-narrative version with the Eno soundtrack was released on video in 1990 by the National Geographic Society.

I am sure I saw this film on TV, probably in the late 80s and probably late at night on BBC2. It was haunting.

'An Ending (Ascent)' accompanies the footage of the Apollo 11 module leaving the moon to return to Earth......we watch as the lunar surface slips steadily away below us. We are going home.

Night night.

[and happy 4th of July American friends]

3 comments:

  1. Now all you need is a few paintings by Alan Bean hanging on the bedroom wall for the circle to be complete. See them at www.alanbeangallery.com
    Sweet Dreams.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But how did he keep his easel steady??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point. I suspect a conspiracy.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.