Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Soul Food


Well it's been a right old blustery night again and no mistake but I been cookin' up a mighty fine, though I say it myself, Creole seafood risotto and listening to Al Green, What's Going On and Bettye Swann, so things could be worse. The Marvin brought me close to tears as I stirred the saffron and rice. It often does.

As for this...!

Mr Shuffle threw it out at me just the other day, and I think it may be one of the most perfect recordings I have ever heard. Seriously.

From beginning to end, there is nothing here that does not belong and is not wonderful - and boy, that voice, that sound.

I've written about Bettye here before - so no excuses now, go buy.

Bettye Swann - 'Then You Can Tell Me Goodbye' (1968)

Kiss me each morning for a million years
Hold me each evening by your side
Tell me you'll love me for a million years
Then if it don't work out
Then if it don't work out
Then you can tell me goodbye
Sweeten my coffee with a morning kiss
Soften my dreams with your sighs
And after you've loved me for a million years
If it don't work out
Then if it don't work out
Then you can tell me goodbye

If you must go, baby, I won't grieve
But just wait a lifetime before you leave
Then if you must go, I won't tell you no

Just so that we can say we tried

Oh baby, tell me you'll love me for a million years
Then if it don't work out
Then if it don't work out
Then you can tell me goodbye
Tell me goodbye.

[words & music by John D. Loudermilk]

14 comments:

  1. Cooking and soul eh? That was an amazing track.

    I'd never listened to her before; dunno why; I've got a bit of a block on more Southern sounding soul the past few years. When I was younger I was all about it, Motown and the more big city soul things were too slick for my liking. Funny how you go through these phases.

    And she did "Tell It Like It Is"? What a tune that is..although funnily enough, my favourite version of that one is a live one from the soundtrack to the movie The Big Easy. Easily one of the best live performances ever.

    Cooking with gas Mr D. Cooking with gas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and don't forget the truly marvelous pat kelly version sweetie - i'll dig it out as soon as
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a vindaloo and some Studio One reggae last night both as tasty as the other.

    The works firewall is a solid as ever,so will have save this treat for later.

    'John D Loudermilk' what a name

    ReplyDelete
  4. A quick search through Google, teaches me for the day, revealing that Mr Loudermilk is a cousin to the Louvin Brothers (might not mean much; but my mum is a big country fan...I know too many of these names and their songs for comfort) and once recorded under the name Ebe Sneezer. What names!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love these old soul posts. I tried your Horace Silver tune from the last post but after six minutes it was such a relief when it ended. I'm going to persevere with your Jazz posts to see if I can find my way in...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like this. I've never heard her stuff at all. Those lyrics are Planet Heartbreak too. Gonna have me a good wallow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. http://deaconblues1103soul.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I too am a newcomer to the wider world of soul, northern soul etc. I'm blown away by some of the songs you've posted recently. Now if I could just find a vinyl shop in Dublin that sells these gems.....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ah, bref - it may end up being Amazon Ireland after all for you, eh? Thanks for stopping by and lovin' the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah! one of the many soulful Betty(e)s that are worth checking out.

    Unfortunately I cannot listen to this track as my ISP seems to have blocked access to Mediafire (and zShare). Soon all we will be able to do on the Internet is shop I suspect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now that is a Sinister Development. Tell us which ISP so we can boycott the bastards!

    Here it is via Fileden Darce.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cheers Davy. This is a great track. I must buy that Honest Jon's CD. I particularly love "My Heart Is Closed For The Season". My current post features Candi Staton so we're currently indulging in a southern soul (and HJ) double act.

    The pesky ISP is the "peoples friend" virginmedia (or doesn't the bearded one own it now, I forget). I understand Tiscali are doing it too, so how long before they all get in on the act I wonder?

    I am getting twitchy now as I have been recklessly using my free VM webspace to host my mp3s. I think that's going to have to change.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.