Friday, March 14, 2008

Friday Four Pack


Everything is everything as Mr Hathaway argues, and this Friday everything here's got soul.

The weatherman's forecasting more squalls, gloom and drizzle for this part of Planet Earth but I don't care what the weatherman say when the weatherman say it's raining because I got the warmth of the sun, or more specifically the warmth of these grooves, inside me, oh yes.

How'd it get to be the end of the week already anyhow?

It's like my old Ma used to say, the older you get, the faster it goes...

'Time and tide wait for no man, but at least you can move your deckchair further up the shore' - Ringo Starr.

Donny Hathaway - 'Voices Inside (Everything Is Everything)' (1970)
Rufus Thomas - 'Funky Mississippi' (1968)
Joe Simon - 'Get Down, Get Down (Get On The Floor)' (1975)
The Stylistics - 'Funky Weekend' (1975)

[Recommended running order as listed. Vinyl crackles included. 'Funky Mississippi' written by Mr E.Floyd.]

14 comments:

  1. Huzzah - I've found a crack in the works 'firewall'...

    ‘Voices’ – is the perfect soundtrack for that scene in the Starsky titles where they cruise/crawl down the street side by side – one in the car one on foot.

    ‘Missipi’- "Ain’t that good"he cries, he’s not wrong (my fave from this funky four pack)

    ‘Get Down’ – highhats, handclaps and honky tonk piano. It doesn't get better.

    ‘Funky Weekend’ – another crackly cracker

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - have you checked out some the funky nuggets at The Captains Crate

    There's a few tracks riding similar riffs

    http://www.bywayof.net/captains_crate/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't, but I will. I'm also looking forward to your Cool Britannia mix - what a clever chap you are.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, there's a two minute try before you buy here mix here

    http://www.divshare.com/download/4019400-a05

    This isn't an actual two minutes of it in real time no,no.

    More of Smiley Miley 'Bits n Pieces' arrangment

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always about this time each week when I remember that you guys are 5 hours ahead...well into your collective weekends whilst I toil away on the job. At least I'll do it with some swagger - thanks for the tunes Davy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good stuff. I can upload a non-crackly version of Funky Weekend if you want.

    Verification word was 'peukx'
    Yuk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, my 'Funky Weekend' is a purple plastic-labelled Atco original
    7" that does not - I hear your implicit feedback - sound too good.

    Er...please!

    Jon - Hey! We missed you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Missed me? I'm here.........!

    ReplyDelete
  9. PS: I have now sneakily swapped Mick's shiny clean version of 'Funky Weekend' for my scratchy one.

    I know, call the authenticity police.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are the Funkdoobiest, Dave. just turned my Monday evening into Here Comes The Weekend. Confusing, yes. Essential, yes.

    Marvellous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. And just think, this week Thursday will be the new Friday too! Yay! x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.