Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Bolder To Birmingham



Oh yes, I'm off to Britain's second biggest city for two days' work and a hotel night between (hello trouser press and 'gold' taps, hello cheap teabags) so I'm selecting this fruity slice of West Midlands psychedelic pop to serenade me on my way.

According to my Birmingham A-Z there is, sadly, no Blackberry Way in the city, though there is a Blackberry Lane in the suburb of Halesowen, wherever the Roy Wood that is.

See you back here on Friday.

The Move - 'Blackberry Way' (1968)

9 comments:

  1. Check out The Move BBC sessions if you can find it - rawer versions of the tunes..

    I can recommend the Sparkhill area for a good Balti - the Royal Naim used to be an old fave..(watch out for the size of the namm breads though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You could make your way to the Robin 2 in Bilston and enjoy the Roy Wood bar. There's a young blues sensation on there tonight, apparently.

    adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy Turtle Bar in Selly Oak. (Adopts nasal drawl ... It's grayt).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It could be worse, you could be going for 6 days like I had. Go to the Mailbox some nice restaurants none of which to my knowledge serve raw, minced pork. Just don't drink any Guinness it certainly doesn't travel to the Midlands, absolutely bogging.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Top tips companeros, thank you. I ignored them all and had a sad plate of fish and chips and a pint of Pedigree in the pub next to the hotel and hit the sack, knackered, at 9:30pm!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS: The Amy Turtle bar indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Why don't they make LP covers like that any more? MArk E. Smith rates The Move, so they're good enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that's the single cover, but you're point holds dear boy. Blackberry Way-Ah.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.